Job Posting: Full-time Program Manager, Toronto
Level is looking for a motivated, energetic and hard-working individual to join our small, dynamic team to oversee the national delivery and expansion of our Human Rights Program and Training and Mentorship Program. This includes overseeing our Campus Chapters, research partnerships and our signature Blazing Trails Mentorship Program.
If you are passionate about advancing access to justice and human rights through community outreach, research, and legal-sector training, this is the role for you!
Position: Program Manager – Human Rights
Job Term: 12 Months, Full-Time Contract (with possibility of renewal)
Location: Toronto, ON
Salary: $55,000 - $65,000 commensurate with experience
Reporting to: Executive Director
Anticipated Start Date: Immediate
Travel Requirements: Limited travel within Canada
Level is a Canadian charitable organization on a mission to level barriers to justice by disrupting prejudice, building empathy and advancing human rights. We pursue our mission through youth outreach, public legal education initiatives, human rights research and events, and through specialized mentorship programs.
Since 2005, Level’s programming has motivated tomorrow’s lawyers, leaders and change-makers to champion social justice causes and make positive contributions to their communities. With social consciousness and student empowerment at the heart of these initiatives, students are encouraged to think critically and assess how their unique set of skills can be used to better the world around them.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Program Manager’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Research and Drafting:
- Conduct research, draft reports and participate in expert interviews for all of Level’s programs, including our Human Rights Program, Training and Mentorship Program, and Indigenous Youth Outreach Program (IYOP)
- Conduct research and draft policies, procedures, and contracts regarding employment, privacy, intellectual property, and other areas of law relating to Level’s day-to-day operations
- Identify and evaluate risks associated with Level’s program activities and research policies and procedures to control and minimize risks
- Assist the Executive Director and Youth Outreach Program Manager in drafting and publishing the organization’s annual reports
- Oversee delivery and expansion of Level’s Human Rights Program, including the student research and advocacy initiatives, which includes our Campus Chapter Program at 12 law schools across Canada
- Oversee delivery and expansion of Level’s Training & Mentorship initiatives, which includes our Blazing Trails Mentorship Program, and other training initiatives as directed by the Executive Director
- Provide mentorship and guidance to Chapter executives participating in Level’s Campus Chapter Program, and legal mentors and student mentees participating in Level’s Blazing Trails Mentorship Program
- Work collaboratively with Campus Chapter executives to ensure consistency in brand image at local Chapter level, transparency of fundraising and adherence to organizational policies and procedures
- Attend Chapter events and training events throughout Canada as budget permits
- Draft and executive program evaluations
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Youth Outreach Program Manager to create a strategic plan for online storytelling and marketing
- Support social media strategy and promote Level’s mission and initiatives via Level’s website, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter platforms, through storytelling, photographs and video content
- Ensure funders are appropriately recognized at all times and in accordance with sponsorship agreements
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with Level’s staff, board of directors, advisory board, volunteers, legal community, school boards, educators, youth, Elders, community partners, and other stakeholders
- Assist Executive Director in communicating with funders as outlined in funding agreements, including drafting reports
- Attend networking and other events to promote Level’s brand
- Generally, act as an ambassador of Level’s mission, vision, values and goals
Fundraising and Event Planning
- Together with the Executive Director and the Youth Outreach Program Manager, organize and execute an annual fundraising event
- Oversee all Campus Chapter fundraising events
- Under the direction of the Executive Director, draft funding/grant applications to support Level’s programs and operations, as well as reports to funders
- Assist with creating and managing online ads through Google AdWords, Instagram, and Facebook
- Create and oversee social media campaigns aimed at garnering support and donations for Level’s programming
- Draft quarterly newsletter and other emails for online network
- In consultation with the Executive Director and the Youth Outreach Program Manager, recruit, interview and select well-qualified students and/or volunteers for research or other positions
- Assist the Executive Director in training and mentoring students and/or volunteers
- Ensure that student/volunteer reporting procedures are followed and records of hours are maintained
- Initiate student/volunteer appreciation events/opportunities
- Advanced degree in law, education or related sector
- Experience working with non-profit organization/social enterprise
- Knowledge and experience with staff/volunteer management
- Experience with fundraising, including building donor relationships and drafting grant proposals
- Strong and creative research and writing skills
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills
- Advanced experience engaging with community through social media
- Collaborative, friendly attitude
- Ability to work independently and under own direction
- Experience working with youth, Indigenous communities and/or marginalized communities
- Interest in human rights and social justice
Your application should be saved as one PDF file and contain the following:
1) cover letter (explaining why you are suited to and interested in the position);
2) curriculum vitae; and,
3) contact details for three references.
Please save the file as [Last Name]_[First Name]_[PMHRApp].pdf.
Submit your application to Shelan Markus, Executive Director, at [email protected] by Friday, January 10, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. EST. If your application is short listed, we will contact you to schedule an interview. NOTE: Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Get inspired and stay up-to-date with Level’s progress, as well as future opportunities to join our team. Sign-up for our newsletter here.