Level is recruiting several Program Facilitators to lead justice education sessions during the 2021/22 academic year as part of our Indigenous Youth Outreach program.
Level’s Indigenous Youth Outreach Program is an innovative justice education and mentorship program for First Nations, Métis and Inuit youth aged 11 - 18 that achieves the following:
- Builds the confidence, critical thinking and leadership skills of youth
- Promotes relationship development between youth and justice sector volunteers through storytelling and a two-way knowledge exchange
- Celebrates Indigenous customs, practices and beliefs
- Advances reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities
Throughout the program, students work with justice sector volunteers and participate in experiential learning opportunities like mock trials, sentencing circles and field trips that expose them to the justice system in a positive and culturally-empowering way.
IYOP is rooted in building trust, acknowledging colonial legacies, honouring Indigenous practices and customs and promoting a two-way knowledge exchange between volunteers and Indigenous youth.
Hours & Compensation
Approximately 2 hours per week for 3 months in the Fall 2021 and/or Winter 2022 term. Program Facilitators will be paid $75 per session delivery.
The Program Facilitator will report directly to the Youth Outreach Manager. The responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitate in-classroom justice education sessions with Indigenous students including activities like Mock Trials and Sentencing Circles
- Recruit 8-10 program volunteers to support with program delivery
- Organize and execute field trips for students to local courthouse, law firm, etc.
- Supervise and mentor volunteers by providing direction, input and feedback
- Conduct evaluations by administering student, volunteer and teacher surveys and in-person/small group interviews
While we welcome applications from all students, First Nations, Métis or Inuit students are highly encouraged to apply.
Depending on location and pandemic restrictions this position may be remote or in-person.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to Caitlin MacDonald, Youth Outreach Manager, at [email protected]. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.