Each year, Level recruits several volunteers for our programs across Canada. If you are a legal professional, law student, aspiring law student or social justice advocate who is interested in working with youth to provide justice education then this is an excellent opportunity for you.
Level’s Indigenous Youth Outreach Program is an innovative justice education and mentorship program for First Nations, Métis and Inuit youth aged 11 - 18 that achieves the following:
- Builds the confidence, critical thinking and leadership skills of youth
- Promotes relationship development between youth and justice sector volunteers through storytelling and a two-way knowledge exchange
- Celebrates Indigenous customs, practices and beliefs
- Advances reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities
Throughout the program, students work with justice sector volunteers and participate in experiential learning opportunities like mock trials, sentencing circles and field trips that expose them to the justice system in a positive and culturally-empowering way.
IYOP is rooted in building trust, acknowledging colonial legacies, honouring Indigenous practices and customs and promoting a two-way knowledge exchange between volunteers and Indigenous youth.
About the opportunity
Each year we recruit volunteer mentors who work with students over the course of our program by:
- Leading small justice education group activities during program sessions
- Partnering with students to prepare them for a mock trial and sentencing circle activity
- Providing education on different career paths in the justice system
Volunteers are expected to commit 1-2 hours per week over the course of 12 weeks. Sessions will take place in person or on Zoom depending on specific location requirements. In addition to attending the program sessions, volunteers must complete:
- A one-hour introductory training session with Level
- 3 Cultural Humility and Empathy Training sessions over the course of the academic year
At the heart of our program is an effort to build trusting relationships with Indigenous students and provide them with a positive experience of the justice system and an opportunity for inspirational legal mentorship.
How to apply?
If you are interested in volunteering with Level’s Indigenous Youth Outreach Program please fill out this Google Form and send your CV to [email protected].