Looking for a way to flex your creative writing skills? Level is seeking 3-6 justice sector volunteers (lawyers, law students, paralegals, etc.) from across Canada to help us create 2-3 new mock trial scenarios for use in our youth outreach programming. Volunteers will work in teams to develop new mock trials, creating key characters, fact scenarios, and scripts. Our current roster of mock trials focuses on criminal law, but we are open to exploring other areas of law. We encourage fun, youth-friendly ideas to incorporate popular culture into the scenarios!
The estimated time commitment is 1-2 hours/week (with flexibility for vacations, etc., to be determined/agreed upon by each writing team). The proposed work plan for this project is as follows:
- May: Volunteer Recruitment/Selection
- First two weeks of June: Brainstorming Sessions with Level Team (via Google Hangouts)
- Mid-late June: Individual/Team Drafting with regular check-ins with the Level Team
- July: Team Peer Review of Scenarios/Feedback/Edits
- August: Deadline for Final Scenarios
What We're Looking For
We are looking for volunteers who:
- are team players with great writing skills
- have a demonstrated commitment to access to justice
- are champions of equity, diversity and inclusion
Nice to have, but not required:
- previous mock trial/legal fact scenario drafting experience
- experience volunteering for Level’s Indigenous Youth Outreach Program
To apply to volunteer for this project, please complete the application form and submit a resume and writing sample at this link by Friday, May 17th at 5pm EST.